Job no: 494359
Work type: Regular
Location: Los Angeles
Apply now Job no: 494359
Work type: Regular
Location: Los Angeles
Title: Acquisitions Specialist
Department: Library and Scholarship Technology
The Occidental College Library is seeking an Acquisitions Specialist to join our Collections, Systems, and Services (CSS) team. Reporting to the Director of Collections, Systems and Services (DCSS), the Acquisitions Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day purchasing of library materials and other items needed in the Library. Primary tasks include ordering and receiving library monographs, videos, and other resources in physical and electronic format; processing invoices for payment; and assisting with cataloging new materials. The Acquisitions Specialist will provide guidance and support to Library selectors on use of available acquisitions tools.
This position is represented for purposes of collective bargaining by SEIU.
- Processes and tracks orders using the Library Services Platform (Alma) and vendor systems as appropriate. (Essential)
- Receives materials and reconciles invoices or otherwise approves them for payment. (Essential)
- Hires, trains, and supervises student assistants to work on paging and routine book processing. (Essential)
- Collaborates with other Library staff in the selection of the rotating titles from the McNaughton service. (Marginal)
- Stays up to date on evolving acquisitions models and offers through professional development activities and provides input to the Director of Collections, Systems & Services and the Library Leadership Team on information gathered. (Essential)
- As part of workflow, assists in cataloging newly acquired materials and provides additional processing support as needed. Assists in the configuration of acquisitions tools (e.g. Rialto) according to the needs of Library selectors and in alignment with collection development goals. Compiles statistics on purchases for reporting. (Essential)
- Assists in evaluation of materials for replacement or withdrawal. (Marginal)
- Compiles statistics on purchases for reporting. (Essential)
- Assists in the configuration of acquisitions tools (e.g. Rialto) according to the needs of library selectors and in alignment with collection development goals. (Essential)
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of library experience or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates strong knowledge of and experience with relevant library services, higher education purchasing practices, and technologies in an academic library or departmental setting.
- Requires familiarity with or ability to learn materials purchasing and processing functions using library and vendor systems.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn such library cataloging systems and standards as OCLC and MARC and the principles of library cataloging.
- Proficiency with productivity software and data gathering, and the ability to organize and execute projects, write reports, and keep statistical records.
- Familiarity with using spreadsheets and working with budget and cost data.
- Must be able to work effectively within standardized and ad hoc workflows and to learn and apply detailed policies and data standards.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills for working with staff and with vendors.
EXPECTED HIRING RANGE: $45,000 - $48,000/yr
If you are offered this position at Occidental College, your final base salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, experience, and/or geographic location. In addition to those factors, Occidental complies with applicable pay equity laws and considers internal equity among current employees when developing the final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the base salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth. We also offer a generous compensation and benefits package.
Advertised: 24 Jan 2024 Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: 17 March 2024
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend