Job no: 494319
Work type: Regular
Location: Los Angeles
Title: Associate Controller
Department: Vice President for Fin & Planning
The Associate Controller reports directly to the Controller and is responsible for the oversight of the College’s accounting functions, including but not limited to general ledger accounting, cash management, investment accounting, and financial reporting. The Associate Controller provides and supports best practices in higher education accounting, including internal controls, accounting policies and procedures, and stakeholder training.
30% - FINANCIAL REPORTING
- Coordinates completion of all financial reports.
- Manages the preparation of work paper packages and supporting schedules for the annual audit of the College’s financial statements and assists with preparation of financial statements.
- Oversees and assists staff accountant with the preparation of the College’s Form 990 and 990T.
- Works with outside tax preparer to complete tax returns accurately and timely. Prepares and submits property tax exemptions forms.
- Prepares annual Business Operating Statement 571-L.
- Prepares and submits various financial surveys. Surveys include but not limited to the NACUBO TIAA Study of Endowments, Cambridge Investment Pool survey, and Moody’s Supplemental & Liquidity survey.
30% - ENDOWMENTS
- Responsible for ensuring the completeness of all endowment documentation.
- Reviews, approves and reports endowment activity in the Fundriver subledger.
- Maintains spending rules and endowment funds in Fundriver.
- Reports on endowment activity, endowment spending and fund corpus and market value.
- Provides endowed scholarship spending targets to financial aid.
- Manages the College’s Life Income program including serving as liaison with outside service providers, ensuring the recording of all transactions, and reconciliation of and reporting on the results thereof.
15% - LEADERSHIP
- Leads a team of three individuals in the areas of General Ledger Accounting, Investment Accounting, and Financial Reporting.
- Assists in providing training to the Business Office and other relevant stakeholders.
- Serves as liaison with the College’s banks and investment advisors in resolving all data and procedural issues.
15% - REPORTING
- Ensures the timely posting of all data to the general and operating ledgers from Banner and non-Banner systems.
- Reviews manual journal entries for timely posting to Banner to ensure appropriateness and accuracy.
- Reviews and approves all bank reconciliations and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Administers merchant IDs for hosted check out and virtual terminal.
- Collaborates with ITS on PCI DSS compliance
10% - SYSTEMS
- Creates and maintains FUND, ORGN, ACCT, PROG, and ACTV codes in Banner as needed or requested.
- Assists in implementation of additional features of the Banner system and in ongoing revisions of financial reporting and procedures to better serve administrators, faculty, students, parents and other constituencies.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting, Finance, Business or related field. Certified Public Accountant, C.P.A.
Experience: 5-7 years progressively responsible accounting and/or audit experience. Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with higher education accounting.
- Must possess advanced knowledge/ skills in accounting and reporting software, including the Microsoft Office suite as well as experience with large accounting packages.
- Skilled in verbal, written, and electronic communication skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork, team building and flexibility.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to work in a fast paced, multiple changing priorities environment.
- Must be a self-starter and highly motivated, with the ability to work under limited supervision.
- Superior customer services demeanor and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive information and confidentiality.
Experience: Familiarity with Ellucian Banner ERP and Fundriver software.
EXPECTED HIRING RANGE: $120,000-$130,000/yr
If you are offered this position at Occidental College, your final base salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, experience, and/or geographic location. In addition to those factors, Occidental complies with applicable pay equity laws and considers internal equity among current employees when developing the final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the base salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth. We also offer a generous compensation and benefits package.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend