Search by keyword
e.g. Faculty, Biology, Admission
Assistant Director for Career Education & Advising
Job no: 494369
Work type: Regular
Location: Los Angeles
Title: Assistant Director for Career Education & Advising
Department: Dean of Faculty's Office
The Assistant Director of Career Education & Advising provides comprehensive career education and advising to Occidental College students and alumni, involving a collaborative approach with various teams to create and implement strategies for student career preparation and increase exposure to diverse employment and education opportunities. This professional integrates counseling theories into career development programs and manages experiential learning and professional development initiatives. Additionally, innovative thinking serves this professional in tailoring individual career resources and delivering high-quality career advising across various disciplines. The Assistance Director also performs project management responsibilities for strategic initiatives and the application of career assessment tools.
- 30% - Career Advising and Education: Provide high-quality career advising to undergraduate students and alumni across various disciplines. Career advising is a core service of the career center, requires specialized skills, and is central to the role's purpose. - (Essential)
- 20% - Curriculum Development: Develop curriculum for career education and job search preparation strategies. Essential due to the need for specialized expertise in career development. - (Essential)
- 15% - Collaborative Initiatives and Partnerships: Display a collaborative and cross-functional approach to working with Employer & Alumni Engagement and other teams to meet employer and stakeholder needs, develop talent pipelines, drive campus initiatives, and increase student preparation and exposure to a wide range of employment and continuing education opportunities. - (Essential)
- 10% - Program Development and Integration: Integrate counseling theory and career development into programming - (Essential)
- 10% - Experiential Learning Management: Manage and expand experiential learning and professional development opportunities. Involves oversight and expansion of core programs. - (Essential)
- 10% - Innovation and Systems Thinking: Innovate and develop frameworks for individualized career offerings. This is essential for maintaining the relevance and effectiveness of career services. - (Essential)
- 5% - Career Assessments Implementation: Facilitate, review, and implement career assessments. - (Essential)
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Higher Education, Student Affairs, Human Resources or a related field.
- Minimum two years of progressively responsible professional experience working in a career services environment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing career-related programs and initiatives to show capability in program management and execution.
- Proven track record in providing career counseling or advising, with the ability to apply counseling theories and practices in a career services context.
- Previous experience in a leadership or supervisory role, indicating the ability to manage projects and lead teams effectively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google drives/folders/forms, Adobe Acrobat, and social media applications.
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented and thorough; skilled at anticipating and preventing potential problems and handling a wide variety of tasks with efficiency and accuracy. Strong commitment to a quality work product.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate verbally, in writing and electronically. Effective interpersonal skills as evidenced in the ability to collaborate with a variety of constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, inclusion & diversity.
- Demonstrated skill in adapting to and performing work effectively in high-volume, high accountability, confidential environment with multiple and changing priorities.
- Effective organizational, logistical, time management and planning skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks/projects simultaneously, prioritize and fulfill the functions of an office in a timely manner.
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently.
- Ability to provide effective leadership and training, and to work effectively and professionally across functions, disciplines, levels, and with diverse groups.
- Master’s Degree in Counseling, Higher Education, Student Affairs, Human Resources or a related field.
- Experience specifically within the context of liberal arts, research institutions, or similar higher education settings to understand the specific needs and challenges of career advising for students and alumni.
- Familiarity or certification in career assessments (e.g., MBTI, StrengthsFinder, Strong Interest Inventory).
- Established relationships with employers, industry professionals, or alumni networks to facilitate the development of talent pipelines and experiential learning opportunities.
- Experience with career services technology platforms (e.g. Handshake) and a track record of innovation in program delivery could be preferred to demonstrate an ability to keep the institution at the forefront of career education.
- Understanding of and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion practices, especially as they relate to career development and advising
EXPECTED HIRING RANGE: $66,560 - $67,500/yr
If you are offered this position at Occidental College, your final base salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, experience, and/or geographic location. In addition to those factors, Occidental complies with applicable pay equity laws and considers internal equity among current employees when developing the final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the base salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth. We also offer a generous compensation and benefits package.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp